Monday, May 23, 2011

May 23, 2011 - Teresina Brasil Week 11 - Mission Week 37

Querido Familia,

So this past week has also felt like several weeks, and also this keyboard is quite annoying!
There was an emergency transfer that happened so Elder Pearson is now in a different zone and I am now serving with 3 Brasilians in the house and am being forced to speak Portuguese if I want to communicate with anyone here, which is a blessing as well as a trial, but I will have increased language skills if I am diligent.

We also might be moving into a new house closer to the church. Our house is horrible,and I did take pictures, just so you know Mom, so you'll eventually be able to see what I mean, as soon as I get to sending pictures off. That is still a problematic situation.

The McFaddens are moving?! :( It is sad to hear about families moving in the ward. I didn't get to read your email until after I was done the emailing last time dad, so I didn't get to reply. When are they moving to California? Also it is sad to hear that the Farars are leaving as well for Texas, but Texas is cool. It is just sad to see, well to hear about so many people leaving the stake/ward. How many new families have moved in since I left?

We got to move a family. That was the same day that we found out about the emergency transfers happening. It is also the family who's old house we might be moving into, but that isn't for certain still or something. We'll know for certain next week.

And this computer just turned off because the connection to the wall is bad and I hit it with my foot by accident.

Church was good. I felt close to the ward and felt grateful that I have had the opportunity to serve in Uruguai, and was also grateful that I have 3 more weeks minimum serving here. When I woke up on Sunday it was just a calm day. The weather was really nice. It wasn't too hot, and there was a cool breeze that never happens that made it even more pleasant. It was just a very peaceful Sunday, and it made me grateful and ponder about the love that God has for us, his children, that he created this world for us to have our probationary experience of mortality!

Elder Pearson, before he left gave me a book "Preparation Precedes Power." It is about missionary work and it is by Randy L. Bott. I have really enjoyed reading from it, specifically his part about spiritual experiences. Throughout the scriptures and in modern days, when someone has a spiritual experience of great magnitude, they will have a temptation or trial from the adversary to match that experience. eg: Moses when he is transfigured on the mount, and then afterwards Satan comes and tempts him. He also talked about how if you are experiencing a lot of opposition, and trials without a spiritual experience, the opposite will come and you will have an equal and opposite. eg: Joseph Smith, he was praying, and he was getting overcome by opposition from the adversary but with continued faith and endurance, he had the first vision.

I love learning about the gospel, and I am trying to work on my ability to be able to receive answers to my own questions through means of the scriptures, pondering, and prayer, and I have been making more goals of what I want to accomplish on my mission in terms of skills like that.

This week felt so long, yet I don't feel like I had that much to write about. I'll make sure to have more for next week, and to write down just little cool things that happen throughout the week.

I love you all a lot, and I am grateful for all the blessings that the Lord has given me. This church truly is his kingdom on the Earth, and the Gospel is the way to exaltation: the greatest of all the gifts of God.

Talk to you next week!
Love,

Elder Phillip Larsen

No comments:

Post a Comment