Monday, May 16, 2011

May 16, 2011 - Teresina Brasil Week 10 - Mission Week 36

Querido Familia,

Well this week has felt more like 3 weeks all crammed in one, and it has had some adventures. Elder Magalhães got dengue, and he wasn't able to work from Thursday-Sunday, but he seems to be better today. I worked a few times with a member of the ward but it was hard because I was the senior companion, can´t really speak Português still, and the member I worked with doesn't speak any English so it was a bit more difficult to communicate.

The city layout here in Teresina is organized, like it has blocks and streets, most of which are with out signs. The blocks are not really that organized though and I remember stuff by landmarks here.

It has been a bit of a challenge this week too because one of our investigators that has a baptismal date doesn't come to church and we will have to reset the baptismal date with her again if she really does want to be baptized, and then this other family that we are teaching doesn't want to come to church either and they also had a baptismal date, so it is a similar situation that Ricky is having with his investigators. Instances like this are definitely hard, and what adds more is that I cannot really resolve problems that well because of language skills, but that will come eventually.

Another animal sighting here, a gigantic turtle that an investigator owns.
Every day has been pretty hot here this past week too.

I enjoyed the Birthday Present Geoff, and now I understand the message you sent, with having the stuff said twice.

Heather, I also discovered where the apostrophe is on these keyboards, it is in a completely different spot than an English keyboard so I will try to use it correctly that way you don't get attacked by kanji.

Question Julia, what is the Earth Kingdom symbol in Avatar, or the symbol for Earth. I can remember air, water, and fire, but not what Earth looks like.

Also another question, was the companion of Elder Harmon Elder Bradley? I think it was but I wasn't sure.

This week has been a bit of a surprise with the completely different time, so I will try to make sure that it is more in the afternoon so that you have time to email before I get on so I can read them.

This week I have been reading in 1st Nephi since I started reading the Book of Mormon again during personal study. It has been a while since I had read the beginning books and I have really been enjoying them. I am grateful that our Heavenly Father is in charge of what is going on and that he knows what he is doing and what is best for us. One subject that I have studied a lot too is Prayer, and about the Holy Ghost. God will answer prayers at the time that it will most help us. I cannot remember exactly where, I think it was in the Gospel Principles Book where I read about one president of the church and when he didn't feel like he was receiving an answer to his prayers that he would have the patience to endure until he did receive an answer to his prayer. Also, that to get help from God, we just need to ask. Ask for help, ask for different Christlike attributes: patience, charity, love... and when we do that we will have his help and we are also more humble.

I really enjoy my personal study in the mornings, it is a time to learn, and to personally gain more knowledge about the gospel of salvation.

I am grateful that we have the scriptures, the word of God revealed to his past prophets, and I am also very grateful for modern day prophets. We have a prophet, and twelve apostles, just as the church was in the time of Christ, how lucky we are to have that direct guidance for all of us, all of God's children in our lives. I know that this church is true, and I am so grateful that I am a member of it. It has truly blessed my life.

I love you all, talk to you next week!
Love,

-Elder Phillip Larsen

No comments:

Post a Comment