Monday, April 25, 2011

Apr 25, 2011 - Teresina Brasil Week 7 - Mission Week 33

Querido Familia,

I can never keep the number of weeks straight, but oh well. This on the 25th of April.

I was going to ask how Easter was but it looked like it was filled with the usual awesomeness. Here in Brasil we didn't do too much if not anything for Easter. Lots of people were gone visiting family, so we got to see no one in the streets! :P Although one different thing here is that people hang Judas Iscariots over the city. I saw 2 during the weekend. Didn't get to take a picture of one, but they were pretty weird.

I got to use the Plan of Salvation puzzle last week! I made sure of it. We taught the Plan of Salvation to Carlos's cousin Sandra. She has a baptismal date for this upcoming Saturday which is exciting.

It looks like Dad and Brad had an awesome bike trip. We'll have to go biking when I get back. I did 12 weeks of biking in Texas, and that was really fun. Here, its all walking. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I am in Brasil, another country. It has been a rough experience with the language. Eventually I'll get it.

The weather here the past 2 weeks has been absolutely crazy. Every single day it has thunderstormed, and it's been pretty overcast a lot of the time too which is a bummer... Also, the carnival that is nearby our house, with a ferris wheel and other rides is leaving. It's a bit sad that they are moving to a new location now. It was cool to see the Ferris Wheel every night from the street walking home. Also there have been a lot of rainbows all the time which is pretty cool too. ``Double Rainbow!!"

I had another experience where I spoke and after I had said what I wanted to, the people said ``N鉶 entendi, desculpe, o que ele falou?" That is somewhat frustrating, but it happens. O_o

Sandra, one of our investigators told us a story about how she was having a lot of headaches and couldn't focus, but then she thought to say a prayer and when she had done that, the headaches went away instantly and she didn't have any more problems with that. I have been studying prayer a lot, and God truly does answer all sincere prayers. It may not be in the time frame you are expecting, but it is going to be in the manner that is going to be best for you. From her experience her testimony about prayer had been strengthened, and she no longer tries to get out of saying prayers in lessons. It is awesome to be able to witness the changes that occur in people and the blessings that they receive as they accept the Gospel.

It's pretty crazy to think that in a week I will no longer be a teenager. Weird. 20 Years old...

As for this past week, it has been quite the roller coaster. It has been a struggle with homesickness still. Not being able to communicate with the people I am around, combined with not receiving mail and hearing from home as easily are big contributors. I am trying to make the best of this trial. I've had quite the welcome to Brasil.

One thing that I have noticed is the difference between the 2 missions. I have thought that God wanted me to have many experiences that I had in Texas, and that I should apply the things that I learned and all the lessons and things to my work here in Brasil. I have learned so much though about so many things these past 7 months. It has been quite the adventure.

One thing that I am learning more is relying on the Lord through this experience. That is the only way I'll be able to do his work.

Jesus Christ is our savior and redeemer. I have really enjoyed reading Jesus the Christ lately. He lives, and he and our Heavenly Father love us.

I also finished reading the Book of Mormon again this past week. So I started it again. I am so grateful that we have the scriptures today to study and learn from, and to be taught by the Holy Ghost while reading them.

Thanks for everything, I love you guys! miss you too!

Love,

Elder Phillip Larsen

No comments:

Post a Comment