Monday, April 11, 2011

Apr 11, 2011 - Teresina Brasil Week 5 - Mission Week 31

Querido Familia,

So this week has also not been too normal, but its getting there. I
actually got to go to church yesterday at the Uruguai, Ward. It is a
smaller ward, but there is a lot of love there and its cool.

The language is going to be a roller coaster for quite some time.
Already I´ve been in Brasil for a month! Time really does fly. The
language will come with time, and patience. I can tell improvement
from where I was when I arrived, but I am far from fluent.

The food here is great, although I am still getting used to how
everything works. To answer your question about dinner, we are
actually not allowed to eat dinner with members, because we eat lunch
every day with a member. The food here is delicious. Usually we go to
a bakery as well, they are everywhere. Buy about 1-2 reais of bread,
and eat that for breakfast. I also eat noodles with pizza sauce, and
cookies. I bought chocolate milk a couple of days ago, however, the
price was deceiving and it said R$1,20 but that was per container in
the 3 container package. Food is pretty expensive here, well it seems
like it anyways.

This computer is so ghetto... I hope you don´t get a virus or
something. It does have Mozilla Firefox though which is nice.

Can´t think right now... Grrr... This email is a little shorter than
others. This week has been good though. A little tough at times. Elder
Magalhães likes to go work out at a gym every morning which is
different. I take the time to study and have been reading Jesus the
Christ. In Preach my Gospel it says to increase your desire to share
the gospel, you need to learn more about the atonement. So that is
what I am trying to do.

I also had a great experience during personal study yesterday. I was
studying and felt like I should read from the book about preparing to
go to the temple that I had in my suitcase. Many times I have wished
that I could go to the temple but we do not have on in our mission.
Just reading about the temple and just the blessings of eternal
families that come from it filled me with a powerful feeling of peace.
I am glad that I had listened to that very subtle prompting that
normally I would dismiss to be nothing.

I know that God loves each and every one of us. He truly is mindful of
us all and desires to bless us and help us. Prayer is a very important
part of everyday life. The promise of ´´Ask and you shall receive,
knock and it shall be opened unto you´´ is a very true promise. I am
grateful for the scriptures and the words of the prophets of the Lord.
I know that we have a prophet called by God today, and that he holds
all the keys of the priesthood. Jesus Christ lives. He is our Savior
and Redeemer, and his arms are open to us. It is strange, often times
when we serve, or receive a calling, the person who seems to have the
largest change is the one called. We can never repay God for the love,
and help that he gives us.

I´m serving my mission. Sometimes when I think that, it hits me! (I
thought it a few times while walking to an appointment and then looked
around at the tropical trees, and the brush on the sides of the dirt
road while sweat is dripping down my face then thought of some of the
pictures at the MTC in the hallways there. I´m serving my mission! And
when I get back, depending on my mindset and what I do now will
determine my memories of my missionary service.) I thought that was a
cool thought though.

Every day is hot, it has been raining a lot lately, every night. The
thunderstorms on the horizon are awesome. The people are friendly, and
I am still adjusting to the culture, and speaking Portuguese.

I love you all and miss you. I´m glad you´re doing well. Thanks for
your emails and support!

Love,

Elder Phillip Larsen

No comments:

Post a Comment