Thursday, February 24, 2011

Feb 24, 2011 - Hobbs New Mexico Week 8 - Mission Week 24

Querdio Familia,

This week has been pretty great too. Missionary service has been going well, although we have still been having slow days with a lot of finding that appears to be unfruitful. But we are trying to find more people to teach.

Yesterday we went on exchanges with the Spanish Elders, Elder Olvera, Elder Miller, and I went in Spanish's area, and Elder Kenyon and Elder Walker went to English's area. It was a good experience, however, we knocked on a door with a lady from the Church of Christ who really only wanted to bash with us. We would listen to her when she would speak, but then when we tried to speak she would interrupt us and start getting angry... It was rather funny after the whole thing ended, but it got me rather mad at how closed she was and how deaf she was to what we were saying. Needless to say, she is not ready to hear the gospel yet in her life but it is sad to know that she rejected it when we were giving it to her. I have often read about Alma, or Ammon, and other missionaries in the Book of Mormon that were rejected by a city and how they were distraught and angered but were comforted by the Lord that they had been doing their job and the agency of those they teach was the reason they didn't listen.

We cleaned our apartment! Well the living room. At Zone Conference, President Robison was talking about how we need to get rid of our couches and comfy chairs because they are a distraction in the apartment. So we did! Now our apartment is Hobbs HQ and it looks awesome! We have a glass table with a map of Hobbs in the glass so during planning and stuf we can see it.

This week has had several similar days where we have gone looking for hours so there haven't been too many new things happening. We got chased by 4 gigantic dogs while we were on our bikes. It was awesome! We were riding down the street, Elder Miller and Elder Walker, were on one side, and I was on the other side because I had just turned or something, well I see 4 dogs and Elders Miller and Walker rode past them and then the dogs started barking and chasing them. I sped up and past them and we were riding towards the Rodriguez's. It was really funny because it was like the stuff you hear about or see in the movies about missionary work. None of us got bit and we are all okay.

I have been getting better at journal writing since being on my mission. I need to work on working out in the morning, I have gained a tad bit of weight and it is really bothering me! O_o I'm such a baby, but I don't want my metabolism to slow down... haha... but I have been working on exersizing more regularly in the morning.

Well I'm doing great here in Hobbs. Transfers are coming up in a few weeks. I hope my visa comes before then though. I'm getting a little anxious, I know I'm still serving the Lord, but I really want to go where I was called to serve. Elder Olvera has a sweet version of Praise to the Man which has become one of my favorite songs, it is a very majestic rendition by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

Sorry, this email is shorter than the other ones.

I love you all and love hearing from you every week. The weeks fly by, its pretty crazy! The work is amazing, and bringing other people closer to Christ is a blessing and a privilege.

Love,

Elder Phillip Larsen

Pictures:

First one, Katamari Tree! The Prince is in Hobbs!


Second one, cleaned Living Room!


Third One, Aliens in Roswell! Oh noes!


No comments:

Post a Comment