Monday, March 28, 2011

Mar 28, 2011 - Teresina Brasil Week 3 - Mission Week 29

Querido Familia,

This week has been quite the eventful one. I have my trainer, Elder Magalhães, a Brasilian missionary who is a transfer younger than me. I always thought that would be funny if my "Mission father" was younger than me, and turns out he is! He is an awesome missionary though and I am glad I have the opportunity to serve with him. We are serving in an area, Uruguaí, in Teresina. Last week the ward split so now there are 2 wards meeting in the chapel here. The members are awesome, however I don't really know the ward yet because of some events that happened this week.

I am going to try to put this in the best way possible, and to reassure you right now I am doing fine, and a lot better.

Last Thursday, I had an allergic reaction, probably to a bug that made my legs get terrible rashes. Throughout the day it got more and more difficult to walk and we called Sister Dias. On Friday I went to the Hospital to get the condition I had checked out by a doctor, and he said it was an allergic reaction and gave me several prescriptions for medicine to help me get better. After that check up, I had an experience that was highly undesired and unusual. A shot in my backside that was not at all pleasant. I stayed at the Secretaries house for a night which was really hard to sleep, and then President Dias came by the following morning, got me another medicine, and then Sister Dias came and cleaned my left foot. The past few days I have been spending at the Dias's home, and it has been an incredible blessing to be able to get to know their family more. I have had great opportunities to speak Português and I can tell some improvement in my language skills with that. This has just been a rare experience though I feel, and I am incredibly grateful that I have been able to have it. Some questions that I have had during these past few days is "What has got wanted me to learn from this experience, and why has he given me this opportunity." One thing that President Dias said on Sunday when we were on the way to Church was that it is amazing how the spirit works. Elder Yorgason, and Elder Thiessen, (another missionary who was waiting for his visa) both got transfered to a place 14 hours away, yet I remained here in Teresina. The Lord knew that this was going to happen to me, and President Dias felt inspired to keep me here in the city. I am incredibly grateful for inspiration and this experience has strengthed my testimony.

I am doing well, a lot better than Thursday. I still have healing to do but I have enjoyed the time that I have been given to learn and I, being in this mindset have noticed many things that I have learned.

I don't want you to worry too much, I am doing much better than before, and I have been taken care of. I am so grateful for President Dias, and Sister Dias, and their hospitality and love that they have had for me. I have learned so many things that I would not have been able to learn had I not had this experience. Thank you so much Mom and Dad for raising us in the Gospel. Thank you for having us pray every meal, eat together, read the scriptures together, and raise us with good spiritual habits. The Dias family prays together and reads the scriptures together, and I have been able to participate with their family in all of these activities.

I am excited for General Conference this weekend and to hear from the general authorities of the church. The Prophet and the Apostles, special witnesses of Jesus Christ. I have been able to watch several documentaries while here at the Dias's house about the presidents of the church and I have learned an incredible amount.

Brasil is amazing, I love it here and I am glad to be able to serve the Lord. This church is God's Church. It was restored by a Prophet of God. Joseph Smith saw God and Jesus Christ. Prayer is important, and so is daily scripture study. This is a great and marvelous work, and I know that it is led by God.

I love you all very much and love hearing from you. You're in my prayers, and I thank you for your prayers for me.

Love,

Elder Phillip Edward Larsen

P.S. Remember when sending packages to have pictures of Jesus on it. Also, mail here is ridiculous. Elder Wheat sent a package that cost R$120.00 Each letter also costs R$2.00 So I'll figure out how to budget that better and everything. No pictures again this week but I'll try as best as I can. Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment