Friday, September 24, 2010

Sept 24, 2010 - MTC Week 2 - Mission Week 2

From: Phillip Larsen
phillip.larsen@myldsmail.net

Date: Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 6:54 PM
Subject: September 24, 2010

Boa Tarde minha Familia!

So today I decided to write out a plan on what I am going to write about.

How are you all? I'm doing great. Today we got to go to the Provo Temple on our P-day.
The provo temple is great, but I like Boston more. It was fun going as a district. My experiences of Utah temples is that they are much different from other ones.

We started contacting in portuguese this past week, we're still getting a hang of the language but I can feel the spirit helping us learn the language every time we study. Each class, however, lately we've been very drowsy, maybe its because we eat so much at lunch and dinner.

Each day here at the MTC seems to go by so slowly! Yet the weird thing is that its already almost been 2 weeks, its already almost been 2% of our missions which is an alarming thing.

We had our room rated today and we got an acceptable, I had a little trash on my table, (empty soda bottles) that didn't allow us to get a commendable but I want to let you know mom that we are keeping our room clean! :)

Having a full P-Day is awesome! How did you like the joke I had said in the first email I sent?

Having a plan while emailing is so much better and more organized... (I hope)

So the visas are going very slowly, not many are coming now and a lot of Brasil Missionaries are getting reassigned state side. Life in the MTC is pretty fun here though. Today Elder.Smith in our district got a letter from his girlfriend and his reaction was so funny, she had kissed the back of the envelope and I was in my room writing some letters after we had gone to the temple and he was cheering in the hallway quite loudly. I will snailmail you a picture that Elder Woolsey drew of our district, he made little comics of each of us and its quite funny looking.

My companion Elder Smith arrived on the same day as me. We will be companions the entire time we are at the MTC and right now I am the senior companion, and we'll switch off halfway in the MTC, that is if our visas don't come before then. I think that is the only way we wouldn't be companions the whole time.

We had a TRC, (Teaching Resource Center) which is when we go as a companionship and teach an "investigator" who is either a real investigator volunteer or a member volunteer. We had an RM from Brasil and we were kind of bad on getting to know him in portuguese.

So a funny story about Portuguese class, we were talking with each other outside for an excersize and I decided to say a brief testimony with Elder Billin, another Elder in our District. I was trying to say "I know Jesus Christ lives..." which is Eu sei que Jesus Cristo vive" in Portuguese but instead of saying that I accidently said "Eu sou Jesus Cristo..." which means "I am Jesus Christ." Whoops. O_o The elders in our district got a good laugh about that.

So a game that was started from me accidently taking the salt shaker from our table to another table is where the elders in our district try to sneak a pepper shaker or a salt shaker onto another Elder's tray. It is actually really funny to watch but usually they find out before they put the tray to get washed.

Another funny thing is this:

So Elder Smith was climbing into his bed and when grabbing onto the post of his bunk he pulled the top off and almost fell. He looked at the top of the post and it had several missionary's names written on it and there was a little letter inside from 1996 and it hadn't been found since 1998 so 12 years and then we found it! Other missionareis at the MTC call these Narnia Holes. We're going to leave some secret messages before we leave for Brasil.

Well I got a minute left now so I gotta go,

I miss you guys a bunch and hope to hear from you soon1

Love Your Elder,
Phillip Larsen

No comments:

Post a Comment